Fall is here and the weather in Connecticut is getting cooler. That means mice, rats, and other rodents will be looking for a warmer place to overwinter than outside. Unfortunately this means the mice, rats, and rodents may be scoping out your home or business for their new place of residence. Connecticut Termite and Pest Control specializes in pest control in Meriden, Wallingford, Southington, Cheshire, and all of Central Connecticut.
Rodent Preventitive Measures
If you don’t have a rodent problem in Connecticut yet, now is the time to take preventative measures so you don’t get one this winter. Here is a list of preventive measures you can take so you don’t get mice, rats, and rodents inhabiting your home or business.
- Seal Up
- Trap Up
- Clean up
Seal up holes, cracks, and gaps inside your home or business to prevent rodents
1. Inside sink cabinet where water pipes go through wall
2. Inside, under, and behind any kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, dishwashing machine, and stoves.
3. Around the fireplace
4. Inside closets corners
5. Under doors use door sweeps
6. Pipes going to the furnace or hot water heaters
7. Any openings in crawlspaces
8. Any other openings inside that are the size of a nickel or bigger.
Seal up holes, cracks, and gaps outside your home or business to prevent rodents
1. Around the foundation
2. Around garage doors and doors
3. Around windows
4. On the roofline among the rafters, gables, and eaves
5. Attic and crawlspace vents
6. Any pipes, electrical, or air conditioning hoses entering dwelling.
7. Any openings bigger than a nickel
Trapping for mice, rats, and rodents
1. Use an appropriate sized trap for what kind of rodent you want to catch.
2. Small traps for mice should be baited with a small amount of peanut butter
3. Position small mice traps in a “T” formation alongside walls.
4. Use large snap traps for rats
5. Bait rat traps with peanut butter
6. Place multiple rat traps together in a circular pattern
7. Be extremely careful with rat snap traps they will break a finger
Clean up mice, rat, and rodent food and nesting sources
1. Clean up spilled food and crumbs right away
2. Wash dishes and cooking utensils that day – don’t let sit overnight in sink
3. Keep food in plastic or metal containers that the rodents can’t chew through
4. Put pet food away after its eaten – don’t leave food or water bowls out at night
5. Keep bird feeders away from home or business to keep the squirrels and rats away
6. Use heavy gauge garbage cans with tight lids
These are some preventative measures you can do to help ensure this fall mice, rats, and rodents stay out of your home or business. If this is a lot for you to do or if you already have a mouse problem, rat problem, or rodent problem give Connecticut Termite and Pest Control a call (203) 935-7357. We specialize in pest control in Wallingford, Meriden, Southington, Cheshire, and all of Central Connecticut.
Call (203) 935-7357 for a free termite, rodent, pest extermination quote in Connecticut.
We service Meriden, Wallingford, Cheshire, Southington, and all of Central Connecticut for termite, cockroaches, bedbugs, mouse, rat, mole, rodent extermination, pest control, and rodent exclusion. We service residential, commercial, and rental properties. Special landlord discounts available.
We accept cash, check, credit and debit cards.
Fully Connecticut licensed.
Same day pest control service available at no extra cost!!!